The Fund offers a choice of investment.
Member Investment Choice applies to the Accounts for:
- Permanent Employees who have Supplementary Superannuation Contributions, Voluntary Additional Contributions and Rollovers in the Fund. (It does not apply to their Basic Contributions.)
- Casual and Fixed-term Employees
- Members in the Retained Benefit Section
- Members aged 65 years and over
Performance of the Investment Options
The Fund offers five investment choice options, and members' investments purchase units in their investment option. The following chart shows the movement in the "sell" unit price for the High Growth, Balanced, Conservative and Cash options from 1 July 2001 (note that until 1 October 2011 the High Growth option was known as 'Growth' and the Conservative option was known as 'Capital Stable'). The initial "buy" unit price for each option was $10.000. The graph includes a comparison with the Consumer Price Index (CPI). The Cautious option commenced from 1 October 2011.
Past performance should not be taken as an indication of future performance.
View the latest chart of unit prices.
Investment returns for each Investment Option
This table shows the compound returns for each Investment Option:
- For the period 1 July 2020 to 31 May 2021, and
- The compound returns for the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 year periods ending 30 June 2020.
| 1/07/20 to
|1 year to
|2 years to
|3 years to
|4 years to
|5 years to
|10 years to
|High Growth||20.0%||-2.7% p.a.||1.9% p.a.||4.3% p.a.||6.6% p.a.||5.1% p.a.||7.6% p.a.|
|Balanced||18.4%||-1.8% p.a.||2.1% p.a.||3.9% p.a.||5.8% p.a.||4.6% p.a.||7.0% p.a.|
|Cautious||12.0%||-0.7% p.a.||2.5% p.a.||3.6% p.a.||4.8% p.a.||4.1% p.a.||n/a*|
|Conservative||7.8%||0.8% p.a.||3.1% p.a.||3.4% p.a.||4.0% p.a.||3.8% p.a.||5.3% p.a.|
|Cash||0.1%||0.6% p.a.||1.0% p.a.||1.2% p.a.||1.3% p.a.||1.4% p.a.||2.4% p.a.|
* the Cautious Option commenced from 1 October 2011
- The investment returns shown above reflect the change in the sell unit prices over the period, expressed as a percentage. The unit prices for each option reflect the value of the underlying investments after making provision for investment tax and investment management costs and any levy imposed or distributed by the Trustee.
- Past performance should not be taken as an indication of future performance. Remember, investment returns can go up or down.
Investment manager commentary
For the High Growth, Balanced, Cautious, Conservative and Cash options invested in the Russell Pooled Superannuation Trusts, the following files give a commentary by Russell Investment Management about the performance and asset allocation. These files are updated Quarterly.
The returns quoted are gross of fees and tax and are based on the actual returns for each Option or estimates as determined by Russell Investment Management and are for reporting to the HESF Trustee. This may differ to the return based on the HESF published unit prices.
The commentary does not constitute investment advice and should not be relied upon as a substitute for advice from a qualified financial adviser.
14 Apr 2021